Dogs can get rashes from poison ivy, but it doesn't happen very often, says the Pet Poison Helpline. The skin of most dogs is protected from the rash-inducing oil, by their fur. However, dogs with thin or very short coats are more susceptible to developing rashes, but not necessarilly more reactive to urushiol.
“Unfortunately, these oils can be spread from Itchy Izzy to you. Use caution when hiking through poison ivy with Izzy and avoid petting her immediately after.” Although very few cases have been reported, dogs and cats with short coats (such as the Chinese crested dog or the Sphynx cat) become affected by poison ivy.
These are some common symptoms if your dog comes into contact with or ingested one of these itchy plants: Redness, swelling, and itching at the point of contact. Blisters and scabs. Abdominal pain.
If your dog does develop a poison ivy rash, the best treatment is to bathe him with a dog shampoo containing oatmeal. Stomach issues caused by ingesting it should pass on their own, but again, call your vet to be sure. And if he shows any signs of breathing problems, get him to an emergency vet immediately.
Similar to humans, the symptoms will appear as an itchy rash, around 3 to 7 days after exposure. It is important to keep your dog from licking their rash. In more severe cases, the rash can develop into blisters filled with fluid.
The reaction usually develops 12 to 48 hours after exposure and lasts two to three weeks. The severity of the rash depends on the amount of urushiol that gets on your skin.
The severity of symptoms of dog poisoning depends mainly on the kind of toxin involved and the quantity that entered the dog's body. It is worth mentioning that some poisoning symptoms in dogs will show up right away, whereas others might take a few hours after ingestion before they appear.
These are some common symptoms if your dog comes into contact with or ingested one of these itchy plants: Redness, swelling, and itching at the point of contact. Blisters and scabs.
Many allergic reactions from poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac on dogs are minor. However, severe allergic reactions can happen, including life-threatening anaphylactic shock, oozing blisters and scabs, and excessive biting or scratching. These reactions require veterinary care.